1. Malaya's Independence was announced in Malacca, on Feb 20, 1956. Its previous head of state was king George VI.
2. In the 1960's Malaysian and British armies fought against communisum in the north jungles.
3. The first peoples of Malaysia were of Indian and Buddhist culture (the original Bumiputras).
4. Bumiputras means "son of land" a claim by the majority Malay who in 1971 adopted a positive descimination policy.
5. A Malay is defined as being one who "professes the religion of Islam, habitually speaks the Malay language, conforms to Malay customs and is the child of at least one parent who was born in Malaya before independence on the 31st of August 1957."
6. CHINESE documents were written as far back as the 6th century refering to Kelantan as "Ho Lan Tan" and other names like "Tan-Tan" or "Chich Tu"
7. CAPTAIN Tristram Speedy, who was acting British Resident for Perak, was responsible for bringing in the first batch of 110 Sikhs to Malaya in 1873.
8. There are more than 60 sub-ethnic groups in Sabah and Sarawak of Eastern Malaysia where there are as many Christians as are Muslims.
9. Malaysia is good for shopping. It is very cheap for Westeners, yet standard and service is always to a high standard.
10. The taxis are cheap but some drivers will try to rip you off. Use registered taxis and agree a price before entering the cab.