1. Christmas is celebrated on 25 th December because it was a pagan festival on the shortest day of the year on the old calendar.
2. Oliver Cromwell banned Christmas celebration, but when Charles II allowed it again the Scots kept the puritan ways. Hence New Year is the main festival.
3. Santa Clause comes from St Nicholas who would ride in Spain delivering presents in Cloggs and wooden shoes.
4. Boxing day comes from when the house servants would be rewarded for their service over Christmas with gifts in boxes.
5. New Years day was at one time in mid June when the Nile overflowed its river banks.
6. When pope Gregory XIII made the calendar we use today in 1582 . It starts from the Roman day of worship to the God Janus, the God of beginnings and endings.
7. The Christmas tree was started by St Boniface a English Holy man who was sent to Germany to preach of Jesus. He adopted the using a fir tree to remember Jesus instead of the pagan custom to sacrifice a child at the foot of an Oak tree.