1. One legend is that the city was set up by the Carthaginian Hamilcar Barca, pop of Hannibal, in the third century BC.
2. Name from the great Barca family of Carthage. Barcelona is the capital of Spain's autonomous area, Catalonia.
3. Barcelona is the centre of Modernist design. It is especially renowned for Antoni Gaudi's architectural masterpieces.
4. St. George's Day is the nation's Feast in Catalonia. It is commonly known as "Diada de Sant Jordi" in Catalan. In Barcelona, St. George's Day, 23 April
5. La Rambla is the major middle of activities in Barcelona 150,000 folks walk along it each day.
6. It's got many buildings dating from medieval times, and some even from as far in the past as the Roman settlement of Barcelona.
7. It is a popular holiday maker attraction that pulls over 1,000,000 visitors each week. Portal de l'ngel is one of the most well liked pedestrian streets in Spain.
8. Barcelona FC seats capacity for 100,000, FC is the most important privately held stadium in the world.
9. Other works of Gaudi include Casa Vicens, Palau Gell, University of the Teresianas, Church of Colnia Gell, Casa Calvet, Casa Batll, Casa Mil ( La Pedrera ), Park Guell, and La Sagrada Famlia
10. Watch out for the pick pocket theives, they work in teams and prey upon the obvious looking tourists especialy on the underground Metro !